The feet that inspire me

The feet that inspire me
My little angel and my little mischief

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Sir Ian McKellen reading Wordsworth

I am currently doing a course on Future Learn called Literature and Mental Health. This weeks topic is all about stress.

Stress is something I am currently facing in my life. I have a 6 and a half month old daughter who fails to sleep during the day.  It is very frustrating and I find her behaviour challenging.

I have normally faced stress with work and studying.  This tiny human is relying on me for everything in her life. I love her beyond words however a constant battle to insist that she sleeps is not fun.

The course talks about taking time out with words.  Particular poems can enforce calm.  Sadly this affect does not apply to my baby girl but it does work for me. 

This is a beautiful poem by Wordsworth.

Composed Upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802
Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne’er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still.
W. Wordsworth (1770–1850)

No comments:

Post a Comment